This is a sampling of topics covered at or planned for sub-group meetings. It can be a repository for exchanging ideas for meeting topics.
Sub-groups are invited to add topics to the list, and GCG members could add topics to a wish-list.
Examples of topics below:
• Publishing your home page on the net
• Exploring the FamilySearch site
• Introduction to News groups
• Email, the basics
• Maps available on line
• Using mailing lists, Surname Lists, & Newsgroups
• Using the GCG BBS Index CD
• Scanning documents and OCR (Optical character recognition)
• How to manage your (PC) computer
• Demonstrations of various genealogy programs
• Web browsers and search engines
• Using GEDCOM files and GEDCOM Viewers
• Introduction to Video Editing (making a genealogical video)
• Introduction to CD writers
• "Sources" and correct citation, with demonstrations.
• Photo touch-up.
• Non-genealogical databases: Excel, PC File, MS Access
• Using the 1881 census CDs
• Using the various Birth-Marriage-Death indexes available on the internet
• Personal family history web sites, ranging from free-form personal sites to large gedcom-generated sites
• Peter Macaulay Executive Director of InternetNZ www.internetnz.net.nz, guardian of the Internet for NZ